Friday, October 21, 2016

Memorizing Concepts in a List

So I have my list of concepts to memorize for a quiz. The first step I take may be to memorize the list in order; know concepts based on what came before and what came after. However, to solidify the definitions outside of the context of an ordered list (quizzes may not include terms in order), there is something else I can do.

a) Look at the list. Be able to identify definitions without looking at them on paper, using the structure of the ordered list to help.

b) Create another list with the terms out of order. Try to remember definitions for each term. Check off the terms that I know easily off the top of my head, but put a star next to the terms that are harder to remember when decontextualized from their original list order.

c) Create another list, just using the terms next to which I put a star. Repeat steps one - three until I have checked off all of my terms.

This is very helpful for strict memorization. However, if I want to remember these concepts long-term, the best way to do this is to find a way to use them or link them to something that is happening in the "real world", The more I use concepts, the more familiar they will become to me.

Example:

Art Concepts - List 1 (original list of concepts)
1. Contrast - [definition]
2. Shading - [definition]
3. Aestheticism - [definition]
4. Pointillism - [definition]

Art Concepts - List 2 (out of order list of concepts)
3. Aestheticism*
1. Contrast
4. Pointillism*
2. Shading

Art Concepts - List 3 (starred concepts: Use these two terms to repeat the cycle)
Pointillism
Aestheticism

No comments:

Post a Comment